Monday, February 25, 2019

Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues: # 1)

Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)Lady Derring Takes a Lover by Julie Anne Long
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and could find no serious flaws in it, and I cannot remember the last time I read a historical romance novel about which I could say that.
Lady Derring finds herself a penniless widow, the only thing to her name a warehouse on the Thames. She decides to take on a surprising partner and open a boardinghouse to support herself. Unbeknownst to her, her late husband was a person of interest in the investigation of a smuggling ring, and so the King's Agent Captain Hardy finds himself scoping out the boardinghouse and keeping an eye on Lady Derring and her associates. The two grow closer and the mystery unravels.
The story was really good, the characters were believable, and their actions rang true to me. The chemistry between the hero and heroine was great. I enjoyed Lady Derring, and while she was perhaps a bit naive, she was not annoyingly so. Her dogged optimism was endearing. Captain Hardy was a great male protagonist, and the supporting characters were well developed.
This book was also quite humorous, and I found myself chucking several times. It has been quite a while since I've read a book and not said to myself, "Why did she do that?" or "That makes no sense!" or "Yeah, right, that's totally unbelievable!" or something along those lines. I was very pleasantly surprised by this book, and would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical romance. I will be looking forward to the next book in the series.


View all my reviews

No comments: