Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga: # 1)

Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)Beasts of the Frozen Sun by Jill Criswell
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
This sounded like a great book, but it just really fell flat for me. Lira is a soul-reader and the princess of her clan, and encounters a warrior one night while her village is being attacked. Lira saves the warrior instead of turning him over to her family, and realizes she has a connection to him that goes back many years. She learns while trying to heal his wounds that his name is Reyker, and he does not want to follow the Beasts of the Frozen Sun, but has no choice. As various forces conspire to hurt Lira and Reyker, Lira must decide who to trust and how to save her home.
I think my biggest problem with the book was the plot. It just felt very aimless. I kept thinking something big was about to happen to kick-start the action, and that Lira and Reyker would be forced to work together to find a way to defeat their enemies. But it just seemed like they were stuck in an endless cycle of "Reyker is hurt/captured/imprisoned and Lira must save him and then Lira feels trapped by her culture/clan/family/religion and must find a way to escape, maybe with Reyker's help." It felt like one-step-forward-two-steps-back without any progress in action or character development.
I also felt very fuzzy on the backstory/world-building of the book. I was confused about they mythology of their home and needed more clarification. Were Lira's powers good? Was her religion good? I don't know.
The secondary characters were also not well-fleshed out. Lira's friends were one-dimensional and I kept getting members of her family confused.
This book just wasn't for me.


View all my reviews

No comments: