Monday, December 3, 2018

A Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of ThornsSorcery of Thorns by Margaret  Rogerson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An orphan who was raised in a library, believing magic and sorcery were evil, must try to find her way when it seems the world is being threatened and the only ones who can help her are those she's been taught to fear.
Elisabeth, who has spent her whole life in a library taking care of malevolent grimoires, finds herself confronted one night by a grimoire gone rabid. The monstrous book attacks her and when she defeats it, instead of being praised for her actions she is held in contempt by her peers. Accompanied by a young sorcerer, Elisabeth makes the journey to the capital where she encounters demonic beings, magic, and sorcery everywhere. She must navigate her new environment, figure out who she can trust, and discover who she really is and how strong she can be.
I enjoyed this story and the originality of the plot. I have read other stories about "great libraries" and magic, etc., but this one was different and unique. While the pacing was a little roller-coaster-ish, I still liked it. It seemed like Elisabeth was plunged from horrific peril to furtive hiding to horrific peril over and over. I would have preferred a slower build to fewer climactic events, but it did not take away from my enjoyment of the book.
I also liked Elisabeth's journey from a young trainee in her home library to a confident woman ready to fight for what she knew was right. She was a character to admire, and her choices and motivations felt believable and organic. Nathaniel was an interesting character, and I had a hard time pinning him down, exactly. Perhaps that's because the whole story was told from Elizabeth's perspective, so everything we know about Nathaniel comes from what Elisabeth observes and feels.
The setting and descriptions in this book are great, and really transported me inside the story. I felt like I could hear the grimoires muttering, smell the after-effects of incantations, and see the flashes of magical emerald light.
I enjoyed this book (as well as the author's previous book), and would recommend it to anyone who likes YA Fantasy.


View all my reviews

No comments: