Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Review: The Key to Deceit

The Key to Deceit The Key to Deceit by Ashley Weaver
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I must admit I was a bit disappointed by this book. I read the first book in the series and had some issues with the plot and pacing, but by the end of the book everything seemed to work itself out and I ended up enjoying it, so I was looking forward to this second installment.
This book had the very same pacing issues, however. For most of the book, Ellie talks to herself though inner monologue and narrates what is going on in her head. It gets repetitive and boring, not to mention the fact that I don't thing anyone actually speaks that way to themselves. It came across as stilted and inorganic. I just really needed some action in the story, and there was too little of it. The back and forth between Felix and the Major did not add any interest, either. I just got fed up with Ellie because it seemed pretty obvious to me that Felix is not the man for her.
I am not sure if I will read the next book in the series. It will either get better or get worse, and I'm not sure I can put up with it if it gets worse.

View all my reviews

No comments: