Monday, November 15, 2021

Review: The Chalk Man

The Chalk Man The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was in interesting book. It was a mystery, and there were some suspenseful aspects, but it was more slow-moving than I expected. I think the blurb led me to believe this book would be more of a thriller, with perhaps creepy elements involving the chalk drawings. That's not what this book was, however. But that did not take away my enjoyment of the story, and Eddie was a compelling character (although I had a hard time really connecting with him). The mystery of what happened during a handful of months during the childhood of Eddie and his friends did draw me in and I wanted to see how he would find answers and perhaps closure. But the book was not "gripping" or engrossing. Elements and threads from different events and various characters were woven into the fabric of the tale, but it did not feel like there was a solid and clear plot line that was moving toward a climactic ending--and I really wanted one. The ending was a bit of a twist, but I suspected it from about 2/3 of the way through the book.
So I am rounding this up from 3.5 stars. It was as good read, but not quite what I wanted or was expecting. And maybe that's my fault for coming into it with unfounded expectations. If you want a slow-burn mystery with twists that unfolds at its own pace, then this is for you.

View all my reviews

No comments: