Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Review: Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche by Nancy Springer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley.
This was the first Enola Holmes book I have read (I did watch the movie), and I absolutely loved it! I usually hesitate to read books in a series if I haven't read the previous books, but--maybe because I did watch the movie--I didn't feel like I was lost or missing any information or confused. I was able to pick up the action right as it started and was ready to begin this fascinating investigation along with Enola.
The book begins with Sherlock himself giving the reader a bit of background, and then moves to the POV of Enola, as she inadvertently, yet with resolute determination, joins her brother in discovering the whereabouts of the young wife of an aristocrat. According to her husband, she died quickly from a mysterious illness, but her twin sister doesn't believe that she is actually dead. The reader follows Enola as she sets out investigating the presumed dead wife, the "cad" of a husband, and where exactly troublesome women actually might go when they "disappear."
The author struck just the right cord of independent spirit in Enola and recklessness in her adventures to be entertaining and fun without being unbelievable and outlandish. The plot was rollicking and fun yet also really enlightening about the plight of women living in Victorian England. Enola is an endearing character, and the other characters who inhabited the book were just as compelling and interesting.
I could not recommend this book enough. It was a fun quick read, yet also engaging and intriguing. Enola was fascinating, and her quest to solve the mystery was compelling. I definitely will read the other books in this series. I even told my fifteen-year-old daughter that she absolutely should read this book--that should tell you all you need to know!

View all my reviews

No comments: