Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Review: Certain Dark Things

Certain Dark Things Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I really enjoyed this book. I was completely drawn into the world created by Silvia Moreno-Garcia and felt completely immersed in the Mexico City that Atl and Domingo were living in.
Atl, a vampire (or Tlahuihpochtli), is trying to survive in an alternate Mexico City after a rival vampire clan destroyed her family. She reluctantly teams up with Domingo, a young trash collector, to hopefully evade her enemies--including the authorities, drug gangs, and other vampires--so she can make it out of Mexico City alive.
The way this book blends vampire lore with pre-Hispanic Mexican mythology and culture was very compelling, as was all of Moreno=Garcia's vampire "backstory." Not only that, but the characters were extremely compelling as well. The plot plus the setting sucked me in (pun intended...?). Atl is fascinating as she navigates a treacherous road to safety. She is not always likable but does have rooting value, and even if I didn't like or agree with some of her choices, they did feel organic, and it was obvious that those choices made sense to Atl. Domingo is also a well-drawn character. I immediately connected with him, and rooted for him; I wanted everything to end up okay for Domingo! The secondary characters added to the story as well, and rounded out the book.
I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who has enjoyed Silvia Moreno-Garcia's work in the past, or anyone who enjoys vampire fiction.

View all my reviews

No comments: