Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The Devils Thief (The Last Magician #2)

Y'all, I tried with this book...I really did.  But I just got to the point where I did not care.  I was very disappointed.

The Devil's Thief (The Last Magician, #2)The Devil's Thief by Lisa   Maxwell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I absolutely love-love-loved the first book in this series, and so I was so very excited to start The Devil’s Thief. I enjoyed the story with elements of history, romance, and magic. I felt like I was watching a television series with the way the story encompassed so many characters and events. It was such a good book and I could not wait to see how Esta & Harte’s story continued.
This new book was a bit disappointing for me, though. It seemed like the best thing about the first book, the growing relationship between Esta & Harte, was pushed to the back-burner to give even more time to secondary and new characters. While it was nice to see characters from the first book fleshed out, switching around among people, locations, and time, really took me out of the flow of the story. Instead of a sweeping narrative, it felt disjointed, stilted, and slow. I began to not care about the “secondary” characters or their parts of the story, and I got frustrated with the pacing of Esta & Harte’s journey. It took me a very long time to get through the story.
If a larger, more detailed story with even more characters and events sound great to you, then I would recommend this book. If your favorite part of the first book was Esta & Harte and their developing relationship, then you might want to be prepared before starting Book #2.


View all my reviews

No comments: