Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

This book was RIGHT UP MY ALLEY with it's hints of Celtic Mythology and Folklore.  I have been trying to read it for a couple years, but was too cheap to pay full price for a copy on Amazon.  They have never had it at my library book sale, but, after moving and getting my new library card, it was one of the 1st books I checked out!!  I really enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the rest of the books in the series.

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I would give this book a rating of 4.5 stars. It wasn't mind-blowing, but it was really good and I enjoyed reading it. I have been trying to find a copy at our local library book sale for several years, and once I got a library card in our new town, it was the first book I checked out. I am glad I did.
Feyre is a girl who finds herself responsible for her family after they fall on very hard times. While hunting in the forest she encounters a strange wolf whom she suspects may be a faerie beast. She hesitates for a moment, but knows that faeries have been enemies of mortals for hundreds of years, and have been preying on her people. She shoots and kills the animal, and takes his fur. Not long after, a monstrous beast invades Feyre's home and demands reparations. He says although he is justified in taking her life, he will instead take her to his home where she must spend the rest of her life.
Feyre finds herself in the Spring Court of the Faerie and encounters numerous masked member of the Spring Court, along with strange, fantastical, and often dangerous creatures. As she attempts to adjust to her new life in her new home and develops a relationship with the beast who brought her there, Tamlin, she finds herself drawn to her captor. She must find her place in the Spring Court as well as attempt to understand the ominous undercurrents of the Faerie Realm.
I found myself drawn into this world that the author created. While the story had obvious similarities to Beauty and the Beast, as well as hints of Celtic mythology, it was also original. Feyre was a strong heroine and her journey through the story was believable--her decisions and motivations made sense. The descriptions of the Faeries, other creatures, and the environment really added to the story and really created a rich book.
I would definitely recommend this book to any fan of Fantasy, YA, Romance, Folklore, etc. I have already checked out the next book in the series and am excited to see what is next for Feyre, Tamlin, and the other characters in the book.


View all my reviews

No comments: