Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Review: One for Sorrow

One for Sorrow One for Sorrow by Helen Sarah Fields
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
This book made me gasp in the first several pages! It was action-packed, full of tension, and told a very poignant story.
DCI Ava Turner has vowed to find the killer of one of her very dearest friends. It appears that a crazed bomber has let loose a reign of terror on Edinburgh and is setting up intricate yet horribly devastating bombs all over the city with mass casualties. Turner and her team, including DI Luc Callanach, must do their best to find who is responsible before even more damage is done. In the meantime, another storyline, which takes place "Before," details Quinn, a young woman with a kind heart who is seeking to find her place in the world as an adult and as part of her family. The reader has to wonder how exactly sweet Quinn fits into the story of a bomber who is not afraid to deal out tragedy and gruesome death to dozens of people at a time.
This book moves at an incredibly fast pace. Turner and her team are doing their best to track down a smart and meticulous killer who always seems to be one step ahead of the authorities. This is contrasted very well with the story of Quinn as her relationships with her friends and family develop and change. As the plot progresses things begin to fall right into place, but I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I will leave it at that.
The only flaw that really stood out to me were the few slow spots in the book. These dealt with the backstory between Ava, Luc, and their best friend Natasha. Because this is the first book in the series I have read, the backstory didn't really resonate with me as much as it probably would someone who has read the other books in the series. So I won't count it against the book, and I will most likely look for other titles in the series, because I really enjoyed this one.
If you are looking for a gripping thriller with twists and turns that you won't see coming, definitely check this book out.

View all my reviews

No comments: