Thursday, February 3, 2022

Review: Sleep Tight

Sleep Tight Sleep Tight by C.S. Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I am rounding up on this book. I enjoyed the characters. I enjoyed the story and the plot. I enjoyed the mystery and suspense. But something about the book made everything feel a bit disjointed or off.
DC Rose Gifford is part of the investigation team working to solve the crime of a woman found strangled to death in a room locked from the inside. No one is sure what happened, other than that the victim claimed to be suffering from debilitating nightmares and insomnia. Is there something supernatural going on? As a firm sceptic, Rose desperately wants to believe that this crime has a simple, perfectly natural explanation, even when everything in her life points to the fact that there quite possibly are other forces at work.
Rose was a great character. I liked her journey throughout the book, even though sometimes I wanted to yell at her. I was always rooting for her and really came to care about her. I also liked the secondary characters, and they added to the story. The crime element of the story was intriguing. The reader knows something perhaps bizarre and strange is going on, and is drawn into the mystery. I had a pretty good suspicion early on who the killer was, and I was right, but it did not at all take away from my ability to enjoy what I was reading.
Yet despite the fact that I liked everything about the story and did not want to put the book down, the book itself just didn't quite work... And I am not sure why. It's almost like all of the perfect ingredients were there, but they just didn't gel. The book felt like it was made up of a bunch of different components--great components--that didn't really come together to create a cohesive whole. Maybe because this is the first in a series, so things are being set up and introduced for subsequent books? I don't know.
So while I am not sure that this was actually a good book, I really liked it and would absolutely read the next one in the series. Strange to say, I know. If you are looking for a new, fresh procedural series with an element of the supernatural, I would recommend this book. I am hoping this series goes on to become really great, because it has the potential to do so.

View all my reviews

No comments: