Monday, December 6, 2021

Review: The Last Daughter of York

The Last Daughter of York The Last Daughter of York by Nicola Cornick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I know this was a very well-researched book about a very fascinating topic. I really wanted to enjoy this book. My problem was that I had a very hard time connecting with both the main characters, Ann or Serena. During Ann's timeline, in the beginning her tone was very much more mature than any five-year-old's should be, and it didn't feel organic. And with Serena, her narration felt disconnected--almost as if she were observing the things that were happening to her and the events she was participating in, instead of experiencing them. I didn't feel that either character came across as a real person. It was disappointing, because it really took away from my enjoyment of the book. I felt as though I were reading an essay instead of an immersive historical novel. I would not recommend this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: