Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Song of Blood and Stone (Earthsinger Chronicles #1)

Finally finished this book last night.  I was a bit disappointed.  The last 1/2 to 1/3 was not as good as the first.

Song of Blood & Stone (Earthsinger Chronicles, #1)Song of Blood & Stone by L. Penelope
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

After a chapter or two to really get into it, I began to enjoy this book. Jasminda was an interesting character who had to survive much hardship. When Jack almost fell into her lap, the book really picked up steam, and I enjoyed the journey the two of them had to go on, from war captives to magical caves, etc. Then, however, they made it back to "civilization" and Jack's military comrades. And at that point the book became just not as good, in my opinion. A lot of the "magic" was lost once they got to the big city, and the romance between Jack and Jasminda overwhelmed the story. To go back to my earlier analogy, the book lost steam at that point. I wasn't sure where the author was going and it seemed like some depth to the characters and story was missing. When the book reached the climax, the author's descriptions seemed almost matter-of-fact and therefore everything was a bit anti-climactic. While overall this was a good book, that was almost the problem with it--it was just "good" when it could have been great.


View all my reviews

No comments: