Wednesday, May 23, 2018

A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire #1)

I really liked this book, but have not read the other books in the series yet. From what I understand the subsequent books follow new characters, though, so I am not quite sure about them...

A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The setting, the characters, the action--everything added up to a great read. Henrietta was a very well-developed heroine and I had no trouble identifying with her or believing her actions and motivations. She was smart, cautious, loyal, brave, and willing to take risks when the time came. Her friends and fellow trainees were also very believable.
The world that the author creates is just familiar enough to not require a lot of explanation. The alternate history is described just well enough to satisfy the reader without going into so much detail that it takes away from the action of the book.
I was very entertained by the various twists and turns in the book, and all of the action really added to my enjoyment. I finished the book in less than two days because it was so well-written and I was really drawn in. I cannot wait for the next installment.
If I had to pick out something that might have made it better, I would say that the relationship between Henrietta and Rook could have used a little more development in the beginning. Perhaps the flashback that occurs later in the book detailing their first meeting could have been moved to a prologue or something. Then the reader might have an even deeper understanding of the bond between the two.
I would definitely recommend this book to any one looking for a good YA adventure. I loved it and am looking forward to the second book.


View all my reviews

No comments: